Calling | Vocation | Job

This morning I was reading in '48 Days to the Work You Love.'  I highly recommend this book to anyone that is even slightly discontent!


In theory, I have always agreed with this following quote, but reading it fresh this morning brought to the forefront of my mind some intriguing thoughts.

Martin Luther once stated, "I advise everyone against entering any religious order or the priesthood unless he is forearmed with this knowledge and understands that the work of the monk and priests, however holy and arduous they may be, do not differ one whit in the sight of God from the works of the rustic laborers in the field or the woman going about her household tasks, but that all works are measured before God by faith alone."

I started my "professional life" in a church job.  After two years I realized I could not survive on that paycheck and I reluctantly decided to move on.  I found a groove in the "secular" workforce, but for the last year or so, I have felt pulled back to "church work," thinking that I would be more obedient to the Lord and please him more there.  As I have been looking for work these past months, I am challenged to the core with the question, "what do you want your life to look like?"

Honestly, I feel like I have a decent grasp on life in the future -- huge goals with a personal ministry and huge goals with Jennifer as my wife.  It's the next couple years, this time that sets the stage for my engagement and marriage, that has me baffled.  I want this time to "matter" just as much as those dreams do!

... So, the job hunt continues as I try to trust that the Lord has the absolute best in line for me, and that if I choose to listen, He will guide me to that perfect job, whether in the church or not.

Comments

Popular Posts