Our Huge Great God

Job was an honorable man, upright in the eyes of God.  Yet he suffered.

He suffered HUGE!

Toward the end of the book, God spoke to Job -- I'd guess in more of a loving scream than a gentle whisper.  But the realities of who God is were clearly communicated.  How incredibly huge is our God!?

Listen to God talk about himself...

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?" - Job 38:4

“Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb... when I said,‘This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt’?" - Job 38:8-11

“Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place" - Job 38:12

“Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?" - Job 38:16

“Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail, which I reserve for times of trouble, for days of war and battle?" - Job 38:22-23

“Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades?  Can you loosen Orion’s belt?  Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons or lead out the Bear with its cubs?" - Job 38:31-32

“Can you raise your voice to the clouds and cover yourself with a flood of water?" - Job 38:34

“Do you know when the mountain goats give birth?  Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn?" - Job 39:1

Who let the wild donkey go free?  Who untied its ropes?" - Job 39:5

“Will the wild ox consent to serve you?  Will it stay by your manger at night?" - Job 39:9

“Do you give the horse its strength or clothe its neck with a flowing mane?" - Job 39:19

“Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread its wings toward the south?" - Job 39:26

-----

Job was humbled.

In chapter 42, Job replies to the LORD...

“I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted.  You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’  Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know."  (Job 42:2-3)

-----

I pray that in times I struggle and hardship I can find this clarity from the Lord!  That I would not think too highly of myself.  That I would honor God's greatness and trust his leadership.  After all, He is GREAT.


Comments

Popular Posts